Monday, September 08, 2008

R.I.P Evan Tanner (February 11 1971 - September 8 2008)




I was surprised. I was shocked. I was in disbelief when I heard the news. While he hasn't been relevant in the MMA scene for years now, he remains as one of my idols and I admired how he looked at life. He was a warrior in the octagon, will go down fighting and swinging. In life, he never cared about what others would say, an adventurer, someone who follows his own will and never regrets anything. I'm extremely saddened by the loss of this man.

R.I.P Evan, thanks for the great fights

-----------------------------------------------------

From his journal

College dropout, adventurer, seeker, traveler, ditch digger, dishwasher, cable tech, concrete worker, steel worker, salad prep, busboy, ski resort security, ski resort rental shop technician. I've worked in a slaughter house. I've been a landscaper. I've done drywall, tile, countertops, wood flooring, roofing. I have been a plumber, worked as a bottle collector at a bar, a bouncer, a doorman, a head of a security team. I have been a basket room clerk, a carpenter, a framer building beach houses, a truss builder. I've lived on a farm. I've lived in the city. I've earned money mowing lawns, selling on ebay, and fighting. A teacher, a trainer, and a coach sometimes. There was a time when I was younger that I didn't know any better than to be a liar, a cheater, and a thief. I have since learned to despise those things. I have had great friendships. I have had great loves. I have been a lover, I have been a son, a brother, and a friend. And I was once a world champion.

Rest in peace man.

No comments: